Sunday, August 31, 2014

August's End

Where HAS the summer gone?!    The last few weeks have been crazy.    I have worked communications at marathons, spent time with the Littles, worked on radio stuff and Morse Code,  married several couples, drilled and planned with Search and Rescue, performed several funerals, spent a lot of time at the County Fair, broke my only pair of glasses, went to many meetings, did a little cooking and baking, and worked my regular work weeks.    Whew.




Almost all of it was fun, although my last wedding had a memorable BANG to it.   We were standing outside for the ceremony and the wind picked up, which was welcome on a warm and otherwise muggy afternoon.  Unfortunately, the facility had not anchored the heavy cast iron wedding bower and it suddenly blew over, falling smack onto the back of my head.    
I was able to finish the wedding but then drove straight to urgent care, where an xray showed only soft tissue damage, thank goodness.    After a day of 800 mg motrin and self pity, I am much better, thank you, and hoping that in a few days I will truly feel back to normal.   The sweet couple is safely married, although maybe the ceremony was not quite what any of us dreamed it would be.

It has been a slow month as far as sewing goes.   I did do some crafting (shrinky dinks) with the Littles, and we painted pottery to have glazed.   We are excited to see how it turns out when we pick it up later this week!

And I finally started trying to spin wool into yarn again, with no great success.

But on the sewing front I barely started and did not finish two small projects.    I cut out fabric for another baby blanket, and chose squares for a tote bag to add to my Christmas stash.    The year is going by a lot faster than I realized, so hopefully I will complete both of those projects in September and get started on several more!

I did finish the rag quilt for my daughter in law that I didn't show in last month's post.  She liked it.   :)   I  know they are simple, but I love rag quilts, they are perfect for those chilly evenings!
 I am linking these pitiful projects up to Cat Patches monthly NewFO Linky Party because I have no shame.    Besides, after that clunk on the head, I can claim that my poor judgment and poorer performance has an excuse this time.   Truly, all kidding aside, I am feeling like a very lucky bunny.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh what great fun with your spinning. It looks like you've been plenty busy!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

You are lucky you didn't get a concussion. Glad you're ok.

The summer has flown by for us too. I have a ton of projects to do that I didn't get started and now I'm way behind. Ugh.

spindelmaker said...

It seems like your summer has been more active than mine! Weddings and funerals and work and crafts! And it does seem to be a really good summer :-) I am really sorry about your wedding-decoration-bump-accident! That could have been really bad! I am so glad it didn´t turn out worse.
Oh, and I really like your rag-quilt! I don´t think I´ve seen those before, but I really like them. Keep on crafting!
:-)

Carrie P. said...

I need to get busy on the rag quilt I am making for my daughter in law for Christmas.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I'm glad you are okay after the accident at the wedding!!! I have only made one rag quilt (out of denim) but I'd love to make one from flannel someday. That would be a good project for one of my daughters.