Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Being Mindful

This last month has been a little rough for me, with the concussion, some personal hurts, and a steadily deteriorating work environment.    I am licking my wounds, waiting for my natural optimism to surface, and waiting out the sadness.    Meantime, I am doing what I can to keep myself busy, and enjoying the satisfaction of accomplishment in the midst of it all.    The things I am doing have been simple because I don't have the mental energy right now to do more, and many of them are pictured in previous posts.  

Although I am not sure I care even a little bit about actually getting it up and running, I am making progress toward establishing my amateur radio packet system.   I built my own Raspberry Pi, a mini computer that will form the brains of the system.    This area of work is new to me and I was surprised to find that electronics and soldering are really just another kind of craft and just as fun to do.  I still work with a mentor, but hope I will be ready soon to step out on my own.   I live a solitary life, and I need to face up to that and learn to do for myself.


I am walking again, not as regularly as I should, but a lot more than I have been.   And I am enjoying what is left of the bounty of summer's harvest.

My family got themselves a dog with an unknown past and so I have been stopping in to visit with her mid-day, while her new mom and dad are at work.   She seems to be bonding well with her new family but only tolerates me, which is fine.   I let her out to potty and give her a cookie and then she goes right back to her bed to wait for her real family.   Even so, she provides a distant companionship for a little bit each afternoon and Lord knows I need more of that since beggers can't be choosers.

The colors here have been beautiful and the weather is increasingly crisp.   I am loving the new crop of apples and the flashes of red and orange everywhere I look.   And I am happy to be wearing socks and fleece again.    Life is good, and I am hard at work, finding my way back to contentment.







5 comments:

sue in mexico mo said...

I am sorry you are dealing with discontent. And I really don't understand "happy to be wearing socks and fleece again". :) I dread the thought of fleece, etc. I love tee-shirts sandals/flip-flops and shorts. Winter and even just the thought of winter depresses me.
I also live alone and I am in the process of closing my antiques business. Retirement sounds exciting, but also a little sad.However, I am ready! I hope to spend some winter weeks on a warm beach. Thinking of you. Sue

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I can't even begin to understand that mini computer thing- that is way beyond me.

Feel better - xo

Barbara said...

Sorry for your sadness. This too shall pass. Looks like you are making the most of your time. I'm impressed with your electronics project.

StitchinByTheLake said...

While fall is absolutely beautiful it can also add to feelings of melancholy because it brings inevitably the winds of winter. You appear to be dealing with this temporary depression in a positive way, getting up and out and serving others. I'm praying God brings something bright and beautiful into your life - something that will make you smile when you remember it later. blessings, marlene

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I love the fall leaves and pumpkins photos. Summer is my favorite season, but fall certainly is the most photogenic of them all!

Glad to hear you are doing better since the concussion. Take it easy!