Thursday, November 27, 2014

Counting Blessings

My 8 year old granddaughter ran her first 5K race!    Her wonderful mother ran HER first 5K race because the little one needed a 'running buddy'!    The little one wanted to run the whole way holding hands, and so they did.  They both amaze me.

This week is Thanksgiving and my birthday, a big fat mind-battering birthday that I am having trouble feeling good about.    Yeah, sure, I know I'm supposed to be grateful, and -- working for a hospice as I do -- I am well aware of the alternative.   Even so, this has been a toughie.

A few ago, a friend at work made me a birthday cake, although she was not sure exactly when my birthday is.    I wished for years that some friend would acknowledge me that way, but this was not a year when I really wanted it noted.    See, my ungrateful heart again.   But the cake was delicious,  made with pineapple and walnuts, even though it was called a "granny cake," which made me feel even older.   To my surprise, another work-friend gave me a large piece of traditional fabric from her home country Zimbabwe.    About 5 yards of material.    So sweet of both of them.


As I have done most every year since my kids were small, I spent Thanksgiving alone.    I've kept busy, goodness knows there is more to do than I will ever get done.  I did a little cooking, a little cleaning, a little sewing, a little internet shopping, and put up my little fake tree as required under my Grandma Contract since the Littles generally come over on Christmas morning.   
 I had a surprise phone call this morning from a friend in another state,  a sweet way to start my day.  Later, I phoned my brother who was spending his day alone by choice,  and I made dog cookies (stars and angels) for my Grand-dog's Christmas gift to put in the freezer until then.   (And I am on Dog Duty since the pup is alone today, so I snuck one over for her to test to be sure she'd like them!  I was not surprised that she did -- they are actually pretty tasty!  She was not all that impressed with me before, but now she treats me like I am her best friend!)
She was so pleased with the cookie treats that she agreed to model the beginnings of her Christmas jacket, too!

Today I made a supper of leftover middle eastern food.  Tomorrow I will cook Thanksgiving dinner for my son's family, and the next day I will go to visit my daughter, so obviously they will have to take all the leftovers home, and my clean up will be a breeze.  Good planning!

Best blessing of all, my great nephew was born this week.   I haven't met him yet, but I can already see that I'm going to like him.  :)   Life is good.
Feeling old and eating leftovers might not be the gold standard for spending a Holiday, but I have no serious complaints.   There is a lot to be grateful for.    I hope it has been a very happy Thanksgiving for all.   

2 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Happy birthday Gail and Happy Thanksgiving.

I am SO impressed with your grand daughter running a 5K. Wow. Good for her.

StitchinByTheLake said...

It's funny how some birthdays will bother us and some just breeze by. I'm 68 and I'm already beginning to think about reaching 70 - an age that sounds old to me. However I'm grateful for every day that I get at this point....and I hope I stay that way! blessings, marlene