Sunday, June 14, 2015

So Much Fun

What a nice week!   I played hooky one day from work and went canoeing with a friend.   What a fun day, made all the sweeter by his insistence that he would paddle and I should fish.   I didn't catch a thing, of course, because that is the kind of fisherman I am.   But we saw a deer and her fawn drinking at water's edge, a juvenile eagle hanging out on a branch that overlooked the river, and a billion little turtles all piled up on a sandy bank.   It was warm but not too sunny, there was a small hatch on the river but it was not too buggy, and there was an occasional breeze but it was not too windy.    A perfect, perfect day.

This weekend I didn't have any work to play hooky from, so I just slacked off of everything I usually do, even the fun stuff.  I cannot remember a lazier weekend.  Instead I got together with a friend for a two day marathon of Netflix, which included watching the whole series of Sense 8   It took awhile to wrap our heads around the story line, but we both really enjoyed it.

The month of June continues to be a good one for me.   I got a surprise call from an amateur radio friend who wanted to give me a very cool radio.    A friend of his is ill and wanted his gear to go to people who would continue to use it, and one of his radios found its way to me.   It is something I could not have justified buying, and it came out of the blue.    Another occasion for gratitude.

So it's been a good and busy few days.   But today was rainy from beginning to end, which is probably just as well since it made it less tempting to go out for more fun.    Instead I (sort of) caught up on the tasks that needed to be done to make the work week easier.   Laundry and shopping and such.    I did not get as much done today as I had hoped,  because it all came to a screeching halt when I accidentally succumbed to the lure of the rainy day and took an afternoon nap.  Of course, when you stay up til 1 am for two nights in a row, watching movies, that sort of thing is not totally unexpected.

Tomorrow it's back to work.   But I will be skipping out again Wednesday (maybe I am practicing for retirement and so far I am liking it a lot), to hand out brochures at a conference that will focus on volunteer efforts.     I will be there representing the search and rescue group, and it is sure to be a lot of fun because some of my peeps will be there.   I spent a little of my rainy day time today working on a story board for our table, and buying candy to tempt people to stop and visit. 
I hope your weekend was as good as mine, and that your coming week will be even better than the one's that have gone by.   Life is short, find reasons for fun and enjoy those little blessings.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

It sounds like a lovely weekend. We go boating sometimes on the Willamette River in Oregon, and it's always a forced relaxation back-to-nature retreat.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

We had a canoe when I was a kid and I loved it. I wish we still had it, altho I actually like kayaking better now. But there's just something so "Lakey" about a canoe, isn't there?

LOVE your pinecone photo!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sounds like an ideal fishing trip to me. Anyone who loves fishing knows it isn't only about catching fish. :)

Very cool about getting the ham radio. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it. I must say, since I decided not to run for another term as Georgia's Section Manager, my hubby and I have both stepped back quite a bit from all the amateur radio activities we used to do. I guess we were both a little burned out. If you're doing Field Day this weekend, I hope you have a blast. It's gonna be a HOT one here.