Sunday, October 4, 2015

Another Year Flying By

I watch the obituaries, awful as that sounds, as part of my job.    Especially now.  My part time hours have been cut even further, there are days when I am not connected to the Hospice system, and so I watch to see which patients will still need to be seen and which have passed on while I am off.    And so, one of the things I've learned in the course of this job is this:  I am too old now to ever die young.     At best I have joined the group of people of whom we say, "she was not that old."    It's a strange feeling because, as I'm sure many of you have also found, I am younger these days than I've ever been, and for the first time in my life, I feel ready to actually begin.

On an impulse recently - or more accurately, the combination of an impulse and a Groupon --  I had my DNA analyzed by ancestry.com.    One of my (many) aunts has traced my maternal line back quite a ways, and my father's family claimed to be purely Lithuanian, so I knew there might not be many surprises, but I was hoping for a few.  No such luck.   We are more thoroughly eastern european (91%) than the eastern europeans who currently live there (82%).   I have only a smattering of other bits, with trace amounts from Finland/northwest Russia (5%), Great Britain (2%), Scandanavia (1%) and Ireland (1%).   As a child I had fantasies that I was adopted into a family that was not a good fit for me, and in that fantasy I was Irish.   Yet another fantasy bites the dust.  Sigh.

This was a fun weekend.   I saw the movie The Martian, which I really enjoyed, and went to hear Soltre, a small celtic band, fiddles and banjo and guitar and bodhran, and that was lots of fun, too.  Today I performed a wedding ceremony, a small group of the couple's closest friends were there and the atmosphere was loving and casual.   I have really gotten tired of doing weddings, but this one reminded me of how sweet a task it can be.   
I found out -- on Instagram! - that my grandson is apparently taking lessons on the french horn as well as the cello.    This grandma spins so far out of the loop during the school year when the kids and the littles are all so busy.    Thank goodness for social media, though, where I can lurk in the shadows and still have hints about what is going on in their lives!  Life is good -- if a bit chilly these days.   Not sure whether I will get back into a canoe or kayak this year like I was wishing, but all in all, no complaints!

2 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I'm so happy you're doing fun things. You really seem to enjoy so much. You still have time to get in a kayak ride or two before the snow flies. :-)

Barbara said...

I'd like to try that DNA thing. I guess I'll have to watch Groupon more closely.