Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Mother of Reinvention

 Well, November is over and December is well on its way, and I am almost ready to get out of my blue funk.   (Which reminds me, I had a teacher by that name once, Funk,  and I remember thinking that the rowdy boys at the elementary school were terrible spellers because of the way they always mis-spelled her name in graffiti on the back of the school building.     Really, so little has changed, except that I would recognize that particular 4-letter word if I saw it on a wall today . . .  but I digress.)
I'm not as young as I used to be.  November is my birthday month, and always a broody time for me.  It was even when I was young, and it certainly hasn't improved with age.    I 'celebrated' the day by giving notice at my job, a position I suspect they are as ready for me to leave as I am to leave it. 
I have such a different view of hospice than what I see happening there, and it just got harder and harder to pretend to bosses and staff that it was all just ducky.  And since I am not very good at pretending, my annoyance with it all was annoying to them.  So I am really glad to have quit, and will be happier still I expect on the 14th, which is my last day of work.   But now I face the Void of my future until I can put a new puzzle together.   Sure, I am a little worried.   I am already so lazy and reclusive by nature that it would be easy to just never get out of bed again.  But have no fear, I will reinvent my life and myself and am even looking forward to it a little.   So far all I can report is that I have reluctantly almost totally crossed "run away to alaska" off the list of possibilities.

Do you remember, by any chance, the Mothers of Invention (with Frank Zappa), an american rock group from my long ago past?   That's how you know you have joined the Truly Old, when those Truly Old things pop into your head for no apparent reason.  Anyway, if you wondered, that's where this post heading came from, that 'pop.'
Meanwhile, in between working and not working, I am going to visit my daughter for a few days next week.   I will no doubt post the usual NOLA photos while I am there, the same ones you've seen each year if you come here often, so if you want something different you should send in your requests now.

But for today,  a friend took me out to a belated birthday dinner, and I so enjoyed that, both the food and the company.     I'd been on a no-carb diet for the past few weeks, and the mexican restaurant, chips and cheese and all, was a super treat of 'forbidden' food.    I expect I will pay for it tomorrow, but I sure did enjoy it today!  :)   

I hope your week has been filled with enjoyable things, too.   It's cuddle weather here, so I am always trying to find someone to hold onto.   Thank goodness my Grands haven't learned yet how to resist me.  :)

5 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Oh Gail, is that you in the first photo? What a fabulous picture.

Congrats on quitting the job as I know you've wanted to for quite some time. I can't wait to see what you choose for your next endeavor.

And finally, gosh, I hope I didn't miss your birthday. If I did, happy belated! And I'd be sunk if I had to give up carbs. Nope, couldn't do it. :-)

enjoy your trip - I've always wanted to go to New Orleans, so pictures of anything will make me smile.

Barbara said...

Good for you for leaving that less-than-gratifying job. Happy belated birthday. Yes, I remember the Mothers of Invention. I believe we are old friends from the 14th Century, but we did get to hear all the good bands. I love New Orleans. Please have a beignet for me. I've only visited once (that I can remember). If I make my way back there again, my first stop will be for beignets at (I think it was) Cafe Orleans.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I sometimes think reinventing oneself is something we ought to do at least once every ten years. :) blessings, marlene

Janet Bocciardi said...

It's been awhile since I've checked in and yet I check in on an auspicious day! Happiest of birthdays to you. Love the photo of you - you look happy and relaxed. Also congrats on pulling the shade closed on that chapter of your life. It's hard to leave the familiar, but how exciting to have a chance to reinvent and go after what truly will make your heart sing. Thank you for all your difficult work through the years though. Those that said good-bye surely thank you.

spindelmaker said...

What an exciting time! You can now totally create your own life just like you want to! I am proud of you, and routing for you! All the best of luck to you in the process. And enjoy Now Orleans a bit extra, just for me, will you?