Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year New Attitude - We Hope

So far so good.   I've already done a sewing project, a good start to 2016.   I made a (reversible) table runner for my son and his wife -- just an assortment of scraps with no plan or pattern, but I like it.   One of these days I should make one for myself!  Unfortunately I also gave it to them as soon as it was done, so my plan to get started early for NEXT Christmas is already off track!

Yesterday was the first Sunday of what has become a tradidional Dominoes Season.   Three or more of us -- there were 5 yesterday - gather for supper and a spirited series of games each Sunday evening until early Spring, when total scores are announced, prizes are awarded and my dominoes sugar cookies are baked and eaten.   What may be a simple game nonetheless leads to a bunch of smack talk and a lot of laughter.    We all look forward to it all summer and fall.

In honor of the Dominoes gathering, we had lasagna and, as an appetizer, I made a new favorite recipe -- bacon wrapped dates.   They were easy, they are relatively healthy in comparison to my usual favorites, and we all loved them.  That combination of candy-sweet dates with a crispy bite of everything's-better-with-bacon.    Yum.   I stuffed them with walnuts, although any nut or cheese would be just as good.
I am still adjusting to not having a work schedule, which continues to be harder than expected.   After decades of getting up before 6:00 a.m., always always before 7:00 a.m. even on Holidays, I am suddenly snoozing away until as late as 8:30.    It shocks me every day and I keep  hoping I will adjust back -- of course, as you might guess, I am also staying up late in my first thrill of living Like A Grown-Up, and that might be the real issue.     That isn't my only new lazy habit, though.   I am also exercising less, if such a thing is possible.  There were more stairs at work, and more walking back and forth than my new slacker schedule requires.   And of course it's way past time to shake of the carb-licious days from the past weeks of Holiday gatherings.    Changes gotta come.

I hope you are having a great start to the New Year, and that all your changes will be good ones.

2 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Love the sound of your Domino's competition.

My husband and I joined a gym so I'm back on the exercise fast track, trying to regain my former health and stamina from before I got sick last year. It's a hard uphill climb, but i'm determined. I also re-visited a former love - racquetball. I haven't played in , OMG, 35 years. But I'm having such fun. I'm also so sore that I can barely get out of bed in the morning. LOL.

Paulette Adams said...

The (reversible) table runner you made for your son and his wife is just beautiful!
This is the first I've ever heard of redwork or of a needle nanny too, thanks for sharing all the new creativity with us and teaching us a few things as you go along.
Stay warm!