Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Michigan Spring and a Giveway

It snowed two nights ago and most of the next day.   I had to chip ice off my front porch earlier this week.  We had temperatures of 15 degrees last night.   When the sun came out, briefly, yesterday afternoon, I watched two bunnies and a dove eating birdseed in my backyard.  My tulips came up but have been nibbled back down to the ground.  Several more inches of snow were predicted for last night and today -- so far it's just freezing rain, but we'll see.  It has been a very cold and dreary week.  Another beautiful Michigan Spring.  :)  Time to make another pot of soup.

I found out that my favorite boss died yesterday, former Detroit mayor, Judge Roman Gribbs.   We worked together for thirteen years and did some temporary work together after that.  He was 90 and, the last time we talked, several months ago, he expressed so much gratitude for his life, his family, his wife.   Working with him for 13 years was the best job I ever had.   

I started my Blog almost 9 years ago, on April 11, 2007.   There have been so very many changes in my life since then.   I've moved to a different house in a different city and now I am working my way toward selling this house, too.   I've had good bosses and bad ones -- one very good and a couple very bad.   I've gotten out of a terrible relationship and spent a lot of time alone.  I've left two jobs and gained a bunch of new hobbies.   I got all three amateur radio licenses.  I learned to target shoot, climbed a rock wall, did some fly fishing and zipped on a zip line.   I joined a search and rescue group, ended up on the board of directors, and took national courses in search management and planning.  I made a bunch of crafts and cooked and baked a bunch of food.   Somehow, the less I've had to do, the busier I seem to have gotten.  I've met some really nice people.   I've gained and lost the same ten pounds over and over and over again.  I've discovered that I am still capable of loving someone again, which was something of a surprise, but also that loving someone doesn't require them to love me back.  I've seen one of my children move to Louisiana and back again to Michigan.   I've watched another child move from New York to Michigan and then to Louisiana.  I've added a lot more gray hair.  I've spent time with friends and siblings and done little bits of traveling.  I've enjoyed two grandchildren who are growing up way too fast, and gained a grand-dog.   Through these nine years my health has remained good enough to not complain about, and I've never gone hungry or been without a place to sleep.  Indeed, life is good.

I'm having a giveaway to celebrate my nine year blogivesary.    The way it looks now, the prize will include one of my favorite candles, a braided bracelet and a zipper pouch I made, and a button from my search and rescue group.
Just as with most of my life, there are no rules, only guidelines.   One thing for sure, once a winner is chosen,  I will be happy for you, whoever you are, whether you are a long time follower or someone brand new.  There is room in my life and my heart for both categories of people.   The prize will go to the random choice of whomever comments between now and April 11.     I hope it will be you.  :)

3 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

You've done and accomplished a lot in the last 9 years. One of the biggest advantages of blogging is the friends we've made. I also like all the new ideas and hobbies that have come out of reading other blogs.

Congrats on 9 years and I look forward to many more.

Laurie said...

I find you quite inspiring in all the things you tackle and the way you accept the things that don't turn out like you'd hoped. Reading your blog makes me want more from my life!

pailofpearls said...

Belated congrats on 9 years!