Friday, April 1, 2016

One Quarter Down, Three More To Go

April already, the year is a quarter done.   Where did the time go?   It flies by faster the older I get.   And I cherish the good times more and more.

My Grands were on Spring Break this week so we were able to find a little time for fun.  My granddaughter decided that she wanted to learn to make her favorite sweet treats, and one of those treats was a recipe that I have often made for them - lava cakes.   She came over one afternoon and we shipped them up for her to serve her family, who were appropriately impressed.   They are a simple cake to make with a great presentation since the little cakes cut open to reveal a flood of chocolate "lava."  She did a great job, to the satisfaction of all.  Too bad we gobbled them down too quickly to photograph!

She also wanted to start learning to sew, so she practiced on my machine by stitching paper mazes, first with just the needle, and then with thread so that she could see what happens when you forget to put the foot down or move the paper.   She finished her first practice session by making a little stuffed doll-size pillow and was proud as punch.   Next session she will make a little fox pillow from a cute piece of printed fabric that I ordered from Spoonflower -- they have so many cute projects on that site!   I have been eyeing the "it must be bunnies" fabric since one of my screen names is "bunny queen" . . . seems like something I ought to have, no?

I have owed my grandson a special day since his birthday last November, and this seemed like a very good week to get started on that.   So we planned a day at the new Legoland about an hour's drive away, with a visit to the nearly new aquarium at the same place, Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn.   All told, we spent 8 hours of fun.   We saw a 4-D movie, went on a shoot-em-up ride through Lego dragons and spiders, and saw the city of Detroit built entirely out of Legos.  There was a test area where kids could make vehicles and run them down a variety of test tracks,  pits of Legos for building, and a wall where kids could stick Legos to make a design wall.   But the coolest thing, from a 12-year-old's point of view, is that employees all wear a mini figure on their name badge and they are willing to trade; he brought several of his duplicates for just that purpose.   He enjoyed checking them out and making trades for figures he doesn't already have.   He came home with a Lego Trump and a Lego Batman.   Cool beans.


A friend and I went to see Batman v Superman -- the reviews weren't great but I love superhero movies so it was fun for me.    And of course there is always work to do with and for the search and rescue group, as we try to spread the word of the service we offer and to improve our skills so that we will be ready when called.

My backyard is flooded, it is definitely trying to be Spring here even though snow is predicted again this weekend.   I am still working on cleaning out closets and basements and need a handyman for a few repairs but am having trouble finding anyone who wants the work.   My goal is still to list my house and move this year, but it doesn't seem to be moving any closer to completion.   Still, there is no real urgency and I know it will happen in its own time.   For now it is enough to watch the bunnies pairing up in my back yard and enjoy what each day brings.  

Speaking of time flying by,  my 9-year Blog Anniversary is coming up this month.     It just doesn't seem possible that it was that long ago that I started journaling on line.    There will be a giveaway, of course --  I am a well established Slacker, but I'll try to get that up and running in the next week or so, so I hope you'll stay in touch!  :)

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Cool beans, indeed! Isn't it the truth that the years go by faster the older we get. Just one more reason to live every day to the fullest.

spindelmaker said...

Sounds like your Easter was just as wonderful as mine :-) Hope springs comes, and brings the sun with it! Legoland looks like so much fun!!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Sounds like you've been having as much fun as the kids.