Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Getting Crispy

There is a definite chill in the air these days, and night-times are cuddle weather with me allegedly hogging the wool blankets.  September has been busy.   We canned a bizillion jars of tomato juice and diced tomatoes and tomato soup -- over 60 jars at last count.   I used the last few pounds to make fresh tomato sauce for Zoodle lasagna and zoodles with meatballs, both of which were delicious.  We are planning to can applesauce next, although Lord knows whether we will get to it before I bake up stuff with all the apples.   It has been a very good food month, as one would expect for harvest time in the mid-west.   Michigan is said to be second only to California in the scope of our fruits and vegetables, and I am enjoying as many of them as I can while they are fresh and plentiful.
And, to my utter amazement,  I am still sewing!    I finished the table runner that I won from Missouri Quilt, what a fun prize that went together in just a couple of hours -- just about the length of my attention span!   Kits make it SO easy!
I made a few more pillow cases, I think they make sweet little gifts and they are another super quick sew, so I make them whenever I think of it and need something mindless to work on.  So many cute fabrics out there, I pick up a couple of yards whenever I see something that shows a particular interest of some family member, and that makes it fun for me, too.
I am working on place mats, too, another quick and easy scrap buster that, despite its quick and easiness, I haven't gotten done yet -- of course, scrap busting only works as well as my own self discipline, and I am an expert at slacking and a sucker for a fun new fabric so the 'done' pile isn't getting any bigger and the scrap pile isn't getting any smaller.  And this month's purse club is next week, so there will no doubt be more purses coming soon.

On the personal front, I am happy.  My guy and I spend most of our time together, a bonus of being retired, enjoying each others company.  I never imagined life could be so sweet, so late.   And I am fighting the urge to wonder when the other shoe will drop -- happy is a place I haven't visited much,  I hope I get the chance to get used to it.  :)

3 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

It's so nice to see you so happy. And I'm happy for you!

Barbara said...

Isn't it great to see all those wonderful jars of good food on your shelves? I love canning, and 'tis the season, for sure. Still working on tomatoes at this end too.

sue in mexico mo said...

I am happy for you!:)