Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sew Far Sew Good

 We are having the most beautiful late summer here in Mid-Michigan.  Sunny days, blue skies, and nights cool enough for a wool blanket or two.   I love this time of year.   The leaves are just beginning to turn, and the bumble bees and chipmunks are frantically trying to stock up for the winter.  The skinny bunnies are eyeing me hopefully.    Lots of sewing going on here in my world.   The tuffet is finally and truly done, legs and all.    The photo doesn't show size and it looks a little wonky, but it sits sturdily enough and better yet,  it's done and it's cute and it's going to be a gift, with a little accompanying throw, I hope.
I've made a bunch of little purses and I've just gotten a new pattern so I will be making more - hopefully I'll find someone to give them all to!
I pieced a couple of quilt tops, which haven't been photographed yet, and I finished the pillow I made as an engagement gift.
I won (yay!) a table runner kit and made that, and will try to remember to photograph that, too, before I pack it away in the Gift Box.    I know how to sew a little, but I have no practical knowledge of quilting, so I used the pillow and the table runner to practice my stitch-in-the-ditch technique.   A better seamstress (which is to say, almost anyone) would have torn it all out on both and started over, but I did not.  I have adopted Jenny Doan's mantra, "finished is better than perfect," and I don't intend to budge from that.   They are not perfect, but they are finished.

I performed one last wedding for the summer, a lovely couple who had traveled together for the past several years after their relationship first took them through college and graduate school.  They were not at all phased by the fact that their dream outdoor wedding was rained out and had to be held in a small banquet room, both were just thrilled to be taking this step, and I loved that about them.

My friend will be traveling again in the next week or so and I will miss him, so I am taking every advantage of his presence right now.    We have been canning tomatoes together this weekend -- I was gifted with the chance to pick SEVERAL bushels at a friend's house and we have been busy!   He made and canned a veggie soup and is working on a veggie-mix juice right  now with beets and peppers and celery and tomatoes and much much more.   Meanwhile, I have been canning jars and jars and jars of sauce.  Tonight we had zoodles (zucchini noodles) with fresh tomato sauce and local veggies for dinner.     Truly delicious -- I don't know why we don't do the zoodles more often, they are that good!

And the same day as the tomato bonanza  another friend brought me a bunch of eggs from her flock of hens, so there's going to be a lot of baking once the canning is done.  And I am loving it all. 
 Life is good here in the middle of the Mitten.   Perfect weather, loving family, good friends and harvest time, a happy combination.     And how about you?  

2 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Wow - you have been busy. I think the tuffet is adorable.

I have to tell you, and shame on me for not mentioning it before now - but I LOVE the little purse you made me and I use it everyday. I keep it in my large purse and it holds all my little plugs and chargers that I always need. It's SO handy and I cannot thank you enough for sending it to me.

It's funny that you mention zoodles. I just bought a Kitchenaid and my son got me the spiral attachment. The first thing I made was the zoodles and I loved them. Very fun and yummy!

Barbara said...

Well, you've certainly been busy. I love your tuffet. It is a good time of year. Summers can get so busy, and autumn always makes me feel as if I'm settling in a cozy kind of way