Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Better Than The Alternative

I do not like birthdays.   I remember my 50th with great joy, a day when my newly-adult kids surprised me by arranging a little breakfast for me, but I have dreaded every one since.  And 50 was a long, long, very long (ouch) time ago.  I know it's childish, but I am not a fan of being old.  I resent the waning energy, the loss of looks, the limited future.   And now, when I have the things I've always wanted, when I am genuinely happy, I resent the passage of time even more.  And yet here it is; my birthday.
It has been cold and dreary here this week, but it has been a lovely time inside.  My guy and my family got together for our third Thanksgiving celebration this year, this one at my house, and we ate ourselves silly.  My fella brought me the first birthday cake I've had in many years, made by his son, a pastry chef.   Everything was delicious, but even more,  I loved every minute of having them all together.

I am not happy being old.  But I am happy.

2 comments:

sue in mexico mo said...

Happy Birthday, Gail!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gail!! I hope it was filled with happiness and love. And that cake looks yummy!