Thursday, November 10, 2016

Fear Less

So many things have happened since my last post.   Lots of surprises -- Good things, frightening things, ordinary things, all jumbled together.
On the happy and totally unexpected side, I received this lovely surprise bracelet gift from my friend Kim's Snug Harbor Bay etsy shop -- is there anything better than a surprise gift in the mail?!   Hardly anything, for sure.  I mentioned the "pig" bracelet I bought from Kim a couple of posts ago, and I've given more than one of her custom bracelets as gifts.    This is not a great photo -- I am not a great one-handed photographer -- but it says "find peace, find happiness, find yourself,'  words that I'm holding especially close these last few days.   Sweet Kim.  Bloggy friends are the best.
In another mail surprise, I won a whole set of the Windham "First Blush" fat quarters and a matching assortment of aurifil thread from the First Blush blog hop -- before it's even released in the shops!      Whoo hoo!   New projects!!
On the more ordinary side, I have actually gotten most of my sewing projects finished and am ready to begin on a new pile!   So many projects that I don't even have photos of most of them!    I am well on my way to making at least one sewn gift for everyone on my close-family list.    I just need to keep the momentum going.

And I've had the opportunity to spend some good quality ordinary time, including time outdoors (my favorite kind) with people I love.  Nothing ordinary about that.
On the frightening side, like so many of us, I woke up this week to evidence and a whole new mental image of how a good many of my acquaintances and neighbors apparently think, and it was sobering.   I have responded in my usual  fashion, hunkering down and taking comfort in my close friends and family, people I know to be loving and inclusive and rational.   Turning to the traditional comfort food cure, I have also enjoyed more than one Starbucks hot cocoa with almond milk this week and there is a good chance that I will indulge in a few more over the next, say, four years or so.     As I keep telling myself and my peeps, we will be okay, we just need to hold onto one another, breathe, and hang on.     Let's be the change we want to see.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I agree...surprise packages in the mail are the best, and this one surely fits the times. My Starbucks comfort drink is a white chocolate peppermint mocha. Second time I've considered one in the past three days, and so it's probably time for a trip to Starbucks. Rational people can only do so much...vote!...and if you've done that, then you've done all you can do. Kindness comes next. The other day I saw a woman wearing Hijab in a store I almost never frequent. I was so tempted to run up and give her a hug, but I resisted. (Probably would have scared the daylights out of her.) But it occurred to me that many feel vulnerable right now, and many feel it more than I do. Kindness is good medicine for the giver and the receiver.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Special friends deserve special gifts - so glad you liked it. xo