Tuesday, February 28, 2017

February Ends

February is just hours from being gone, the year is (more or less) 1/6 over already.   It's true what they say about age, this downhill journey is going a lot faster than the climb.   

There is, as is so often the case, little to report.   Still, as my mother used to say, no  news is good news, which I always took to mean that when life seems ordinary it means that there are no big dramas or problems on your mind, and that's a good thing.

My brother sent me home from my last visit with two cans of wild caught salmon from Nelson Crab and told me to see what I thought.   I am not a fish eater, and not a canned food user, but I am a sucker for testing recipes and using foods that are foreign to me, and my brother knows it.    I used the first can, king (or chinook) salmon, to make salmon patties.   They were a huge hit, my DIL and grands loved them.   The king salmon was mild and delicious, even for someone (like me) who doesn't like salmon, and not smelly like tuna, which surprised me.   I commented that it didn't taste fishy and my granddaughter corrected me by saying that this was exactly how delicious fish should taste.  My son was working late and I wonder whether he got to taste them at all, because they were disappearing quickly when I left for home.   The second can, coho salmon, will be used for a salmon noodle bake.   I was dreading this whole adventure but now I am looking forward to opening the next can!
We enjoyed our annual King Cake, as we have every year since my son's family moved back here from New Orleans, shipped directly from Joe Gambino's in New Orleans.  They arrive unfrosted because of the shipping and the kids enjoy frosting and adding the colored sugar.  We always cut our King Cake on the Friday before Mardi Gras.   As I'm sure you must know, King Cakes are a Carnival tradition during the period starting on 3 Kings Day and ending on Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent begins.   They traditionally have a bean or plastic baby, and the one who gets the slice with the token is the lucky one, or the King of the event  -- or maybe just the host of the next party, depending on how you play the game.   My grandson got the baby on first slice, a rare-ish event since we usually don't find it until later, and a delight for him.   One of these years maybe I will get the baby!   Or maybe not.
I also made Rice Krispies treats in the traditional Mardi Gras colors, purple, gold and green.   I used Peeps for the marshmallow and pressed the layers into a loaf pan, a super quick and fun microwave confection that the kids thought were pretty neat, although the colors weren't as bright as I'd hoped.  They tasted good, too, slightly different from the traditional recipe, but just as good.   I'll make some other colors for Easter, I suspect, when we will also have our annual Peeps war, where the Peeps joust in the microwave with toothpick swords.
Not much more sewing has gotten done, but  I found a button in my button jar that I was able to use to finally finish my February purse, just in the nick of time!
My goals for March include sewing two items of clothing, not yet cut out, several Solstice quilt blocks (I am two weeks behind already!), and my March purse.    It is even possible that I will get a little housework done this month, despite the real and equal possibility that I won't.    I had a strange dream last night, about a fried fish that came back to life as a beautiful blue and red koi, and my basement full to the ceiling with trash bags of items I was ready to discard.   Perhaps my dream self thinks it is time for a few changes around here!

Happy Fat Tuesday!   Enjoy it while you can!  :)

3 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I have never had a king cake. Does it taste like a yellow cake with frosting?

I LOVE salmon patties. We made them for dinner a few nights ago. I always make a double batch because we like to eat them cold the next day. We have them with potato pancakes and applesauce.

Barbara said...

Salmon is one of the few bony fishes that I really like, so I'm glad you found a way to make it that pleased some palates. Love the king cake. I'm thinking of making one of my Solstice blocks in those colors.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That first shot is so wonderful-winter-cozy :)