Saturday, January 28, 2023

Last Sunday In January

It is definitely winter now, and we’ve had a few snowfalls to hammer home that point.   Still, there has been some sunshine so no complaints, just a lot of shivering!

I have been in frequent touch with my daughter, who has requested a residential program to help her turn her life around.  She says this is the first time she has sought help on her own and I am not sure that’s strictly true but let’s not quibble - it is a good thing and I hope it happens.  Her admission is scheduled for February 22, Ash Wednesday.  Although I am not sure she remembers any of her catechism lessons, it begins a period of reflection for believers, which is not a bad practice for any of us.

Today is Sunday, the 4th game of the Dominoes season, and I am ever so slightly in the lead, which drives the men-folk crazy.  Evan just wants to win and, although he is an appreciative guest, he is far happier when he is ahead of us in dominoes. But Sunday has an added attraction for Jack.   It is not only my sewing mojo that has gone missing, I have also been lax with cooking and cleaning.  So Sunday has become the one day of the week lately that I actually plan ahead for dinner and don’t just throw something together — or not — and so Jack sincerely looks forward to Sunday evening, win or lose!  

Jack and his daughter decided that we would have George come to visit on Sunday mornings, which means I also cook a reliable breakfast and lunch this one day a week.  Fortunately, neither Jack nor George (nor Evan!) are fussy eaters so, despite my laziness, it is definitely not a hardship.

To help with my sewing lull, I made a numbered list of the projects in my sewing room and drew a random number for January — number 6 — which meant that I am supposed to finish a tote bag pattern, a rainbow block (blue for January), and bind a small finished quilt before the month is over.  I made a couple of rainbow blocks but have not settled on what pattern I will use this year so I still need to work on that, and I finished binding the little quilt, but the tote bag is not finished yet.  The end of the month is looming so I need to get my going going or I will start the year behind.  And I really need to do more than one "number" a month, which is absolutely doable since many of the projects are small ones -- however, there are 34 numbered projects that are ready to go, with pattern and material bundled up together, as well as another 10 projects that are intended but not fully stocked yet.  If I don't get moving on it soon, my project list is sure to outlive me, and I really don't want that.


No comments: