Saturday, November 30, 2024

November 30

 

I was awakened at 3:30 a.m. today by a strange dream where I let my long-gone standard poodle outside at a long-gone house the kids and I used to live in.  She slipped through the gate and said, “happy birthday,” and I woke up surprised that she had remembered.  I also woke up to discover that it was true, I am 75 today.


I am old enough now to realize that birthdays really are a cause for celebration and that becoming 75 is something that is denied to many people.      I am especially lucky in the grand scheme of things, with a comfortable house, a loving husband, a sweet and healthy son, daughter in law and grandchildren, and even all three of my siblings still around to share the journey.  I am often distracted by routine aches, pains, political disappointments and challenges of the day, but let me never forget that I am fortunate indeed.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Happy Birthday, dear friend!