Friday, September 27, 2019

Ups and Downs

I have been busy cleaning, packing, sorting and stacking at my Saginaw house.  I have done several things to get the house ready to sell -- I painted the interior, as well as the shed door.   I reglazed the tub, put in a new kitchen sink and the new basement floor goes in today.   I had a new porch put on and caught up on the maintenance that had slipped -- I had the windows washed, the carpets cleaned, and the furnace inspected.    I have moved countless loads of belongings in my little Suburu Impreza, and I have dozens of bags lined up to be moved.   

I am SO CLOSE to being done; a couple of strong people and a small truck could finish the job in half a day.  But the people-for-hire are backed up almost a month, and my hurting right shoulder has turned me into a pretty pathetic worker, with a limited load limit and forcing me to work mostly with my non-dominant left arm.    That darn right arm is so much better than it was, but it is still hurting.  

As I think I mentioned in my last post, my doctor ordered an MRI of my shoulder last week and and the results arrived yesterday evening.  They were not what I hoped for.  The report says:

“8 millimeter full-thickness tear in the anterior half of the supraspinatus tendon. Recommend immediate referral to Orthopedic surgery to be evaluated for surgical repair as the ruptured stump is already retracting and there is mild atrophy of the supraspinatus muscle.

Additionally, there is a partial thickness tear of the biceps tendon, moderate acromioclavicular joint arthritis and mild subacromial bursitis.”

My doctor will be referring me to a surgeon near my new house who works at our local hospital.  Since I am the only driver, I don't have the luxury of hospital-shopping to choose the one that is best for this particular surgery.  According to Doctor Internet, I will not be able to drive for 6 to 12 weeks if they do, in fact, decide to do the surgery.  This is bad new all around - for my husband and his son, for my kids and grandkids, and for my ill brother.  And for me, sine there will be physical therapy and follow up appointments.   Choosing a hospital that is only a couple of miles away is a practical decision.   

On the plus side, at least I wasn't complaining about nothing!  On the Big Baby side, now that I know it is really injured, it seems to hurt more.   Which is just too bad so I'll need to shake it off.   My kids are tied up with work and school activities every day; in fact, they rely on me to help get it all done.   My husband thinks I should stop driving and working on my house now that I have the diagnosis, but in my view nothing has changed until I meet with the surgeon.  After all, s/he might decide that surgery isn't an option and I might just need to adjust.    And no one (except my husband) has told me to stop what I'm doing.   So right now it's business as usual and I have work to do.

1 comment:

Marie Louise said...

What a bummer, the arm at this time. I can imagine that you are very frustrated, but as a former nurse and a wise person I have to tell you:be careful,better to go slow for the time being and heal quickly, than to go fast now and to have to pay the price later on.
Maybe you can hire those strong persons wih the van and in three weeks they will do the heavy lifting and you will still be in your new house long before Christmas.